Monday, August 27, 2012

Open-faced phillies

This post is about me being a normal person. I screwed these babies up pretty bad, but not bad enough that they were inedible (which I have done often on occasion).
Philly sandwiches are a favorite in my family, and they are pretty easy. Here are the ingredients:
bell peppers (I used half a green and half a red to make more than enough for four sandwiches)
about half a large onion
1 lb ground beef
two french rolls, cut in half
creamy dressing (I used cesar)
sliced provolone cheese

First things first, chop up the veggies.

Then, stick 'em in a big pan with the ground beef for about 5 to 7 minutes until the beef is browned and you're pretty sure it won't poison your family. Drain the excess fat.

While the beef and veggies are cooking on top, slice your bread in half and put some dressing on it. Pop it in the broiler for about 3 minutes. (This is the part that I messed up. I forgot to put the dressing on AND left the bread in for too long!) If you don't know what a broiler is, it's the weird drawer thingy at the bottom of your oven (I found that out all by myself!)

Oh well. Now here's where it gets tasty. Add some dressing to the beef and vegetables when they're done (which should be about the same time the bread comes out). It should be about 1/4 cup.

Then, start piling the goodies onto the bread slices and cover with provolone cheese.

Put them back into the broiler for another 3 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty. Awesome! They are still delicious even when done wrong!

Being the cook that I am not, please let me know if you have any questions, or if I am doing something that might kill my family ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment